Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Why am I On the Affirm Leadership Team? - Kathy Beamish


I have been a member of the United Church of Canada
since birth.  The most important lesson I have learned
from the United Church is the challenge to
Love God, Self and Neighbour.

When Robert Ashton called for people to form an Affirm team, I thought long and hard.  For all my life, good friends, close relatives and supportive coworkers, who identify as LGBTQ2, have been an important part of my life.  But I have always been a quiet companion.  I thought, Kathy, sometimes you need to step up, stand beside your friends and not be so quiet.  I realized now was the time! 

Being a member of Kanata United’s Affirm Leadership Team has and is the best and most worthwhile initiative I have been part of over my 66 years with the United Church of Canada! 

So why did I join?   I joined to
-    - learn how to be a more accepting person
-    - be a good ally to LGBTQ2 folk
-    - help build an accepting community
-    - be a member of an intentionally inclusive church
-    - enjoy and welcome all!

When I had the honor of walking with many United Church folk in the PRIDE parade this August, one church member had a sign that read

Love is Love is Love!

I believe God wants me to Love God, Self and Neighbour.  And Love is Love is Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment